Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Prayer Box

Late last year I decided to make a prayer box for myself similar to the one Patter made on her blog.  Take a second to visit her site and admire her box, it's AWESOME!!  So on New Year's, I started making this box.  I finished it about a week later, but I've procrastinated on the pictures.  And here's why: I sewed on the panels!!  Although I'm really excited that I tried and for the most part accomplished a new technique, my skills are no where near as good as others!  So, I've built up my courage and I'm posting my prayer box today.  Here it is:




The box is a recipe box from the dollar section at Michael's.  I painted the box with pink acrylic paint and set it aside while I made the individual panels.  The panels are layers of Bazzill cardstock, Basic Grey paper, and Bo Bunny cardstock.  The verses are from Verve and are stamped out in Tuxedo Black on white cardstock.  The letter's spelling out "Prayer Box" are made using MFT's bling bet and hot fix crystals.  I stamped the letters out in Brilliance Chocolate ink and embossed them with clear embossing powder.  Once I attached the crystals, I cut the individual letters out and attached them to the box with dimensionals.  I also made some dividers for the inside using postcard sized chipboard.  I covered the rectangles with colored paper, added the titles with stickers, and added a decorative sticker to each one.  These will help keep my box nice and organized.


I sewed the panels using my little Kenmore sewing machine that has been collecting dust since I purchased it several years ago.  Once I got the tension right, the process was fairly easy, but I had to go really slow to make sure that I was sewing in a straight line (which I didn't most of the time!).  I had a great time learing how to sew with paper and will continue to try some more.

Supplies: recipe box, bazzill cardstock - brown, Basic Grey paper - Eva, Bo Bunny Cardstock - swiss dots, nestabilities, Verve Stamps, paper piercer, sewing machine, white thread, silver brads (to hide uneven corners), MFT 'bling bet, hot fix crystals - pink

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie, Beautiful Prayer Box. love everything about it.

Patter Cross said...

Oooh, yeah!!! It turned out beautiful Leslie! Love it, and love the colors! Awesome job on your box. Blessings,

Chris said...

you did a great job. I never would have guessed that you were a beginner sewer.