Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Prickley Pear Submissions - Long Post

I finally had time to edit and upload my pictures for the Prickley Pear Design Team call. The deadline is tomorrow evening and I just hit SEND on my email to them! Since this and the Whiff of Joy design team are my first submissions ever, I'm not sure that I'll be picked. However, I think the experience is worth it. With so many experienced and talented papercrafters out there, the competition is bound to be tough! The rules asked for three samples and here's what I came up with.

The first one is a birthday card I made for my sister. I haven't sent it to her yet, but I will! Sorry Jess. I used The Poppies stamp set from MFT and combined it with a PPRS sentiment to complete the look. I finished out the inside and used Veramark to make a tone on tone pattern on the black paper using the larger nautical star from PPRS. The cute little 3-D star on the outside was made by cutting a silver star out with the cricut and making straight line scores from each tip all the way down. Once your star is completely scored, the star is folded in an alternating pattern: tips are folded up, sides are folded down. I used a pop dot to attach it to the card.

Stamps: MFT - The Poppies; PPRS - Rock & Roll sentiment, nautical stars
Paper: black, white, silver cardstock; DCWV - All Dressed Up
Ink: Memento - tuxedo black, angel pink; Versamark
Other: pop dots, copics, silver and rose glitter markers

The second item I made is a layout showcasing Aldo playing his new guitar. He's very proud of this new guitar. I really enjoyed making this page. I started out with one concept, but my project moved in a different direction and I just ran with it. I made a charm using polyshrink and the same stamp as the background. It was my first time using the polyshrink in the oven and it worked great; it just takes a few seconds and it’s done. I plan on displaying this at work.

Stamps: PPRS – Flourished Guitar
Paper: cream, copper, navy blue cardstock
Ink: Memento – rich cocoa, paris dusk; Brilliance – coffee bean
Other: chocolate suede leather lace, jewelry wire, K & Co rub on, polyshrink, chipboard embellishment, UTEE, Mod Podge

The last item I made came together very quickly once I knew what I wanted the project to be. Aldo suggested I alter a cigar box I had a home, but I found this box at Michaels and it was already white and ready for altering so I went ahead and picked it up. I painted it with thinned green acrylic paint using a wet sponge for a see through effect and lightly sanded it once it was dry. Using black ink, I stamped the imaged around the four sides of the box and the inside of the lid. I sanded the box again to take away some of the ink. I tore a piece of 8x8 designer paper at an angle and attached it to the lid of the box using Mod Podge. The finishing touch was the Happiness embellishment that sits across the front of the box.

Stamps: PPRS – Funky Floral
Paper: DCWV – Once Upon A Time
Ink: Memento – Tuxedo Black
Other: white keepsake box, acrylic paint, Mod Podge, sanding block, Me and My Big Ideas – Happiness embellishment
Creating the projects for this design team call has been a fun learning experience. I had the opportunity to try new techniques, use new stamps, and create items that are outside of my comfort zone with pleasing results. And, as a bonus, I now have a handy gift ready for future use! Thank you for reading my long post. :)

No comments: