Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Pinteresting Nursery: Lighting 2.0

Hi peeps, I'm back today with another lighting project I did for the nursery.  This one isn't really a Pinterest inspired project, but there's plenty of inspiration out there for something similar.





I needed a small table lamp for the nightstand and I wanted something cute and ruffly.  After looking everywhere, I couldn't find something that I loved, so I decided to make my own.  I purchased a simple lamp at Wal-Mart and some satin ribbon from Michael's and got to work.  Here's what I came up with:






First, let me tell you, I severely underestimated the amount of time and ribbon this lamp would require.  I purchased two 10 yard spools and though I'd be fine.  Umm, no, it took 5 spools and several episodes of Once Upon A Time before I was done with this project.  Luckily, it was one of the projects I started earlier in my pregnancy and I didn't mind taking the time.

To attach the ribbon onto the lamp shade, I covered the lamp shade with 1" wide Sookwang tape all around. Then I followed Ashley Cannon Newell's video instructions here for the ribbon ruffling.  The ribbon I used is Michael's satin ribbon in Tiffany Blue.  Looking back, there's several things I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.  First, I'd probably paint the lampshade to match the ribbon.  Second, would cover the rim with ribbon for a more finished look.  And third, I would end the ruffles at each row and start a new one instead of working in a spiral.  This left me with a wonky edge at the end that is cleverly hidden towards the wall.

Cost Breakdown:
Lamp - Wal-Mart : $13.00
Ribbon - Michael's (on sale) -  $12.50 (5 rolls @ $2.50 ea)
Total Cost: $25.50


Has anyone out there made anything similar?  I'd love to see it and hear your thoughts!!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: