Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Velvet Stamping and Tutorial

I know I’d seen it before and the bold images from Prickley Pear are just perfect for it, so after a little Googling, I decided to go for it. I purchased some velvet, pulled out some stamps, and held my breath. Here’s the final results:

Not too bad, huh? And it was so super easy to do. Here’s a breakdown of how I did it:

First, I cut my velvet down to the size I would need for my sachet.

Then I made sure my iron had a spot on the plate that did not have any holes and I emptied out the water from the reservoir. I turned it up to high and let it heat up.
I placed my stamp rubber side up on the ironing board and positioned my velvet, pile side down on top of it.

I lightly sprayed the velvet with water from a water bottle. Hint: try to concentrate the spray only on the area on top of the stamp.
You take the iron and firmly place it over the velvet on top of the stamp. If your iron has holes, make sure you position your iron so that the area that has no holes is directly on top of your stamp.
Hold the iron in place for 15-20 seconds and then lift the iron straight off the velvet. Gently peel back the velvet and take a look at your impression.
If it’s too light, you can carefully lay the fabric right back over the stamp and heat it with the iron for another 10 seconds.

And voila, you are done. Now you can take your fabric and make it into sachets, drawstring bags, scarves, etc.
Now, this works with most high quality rubber stamps as they can withstand the brief heat of the iron. However, I cannot attest to the durability of any particular stamp. Please do not try this with acrylic stamps as they are more delicate to heat.

The bolder the image, the better your results will be. Although I was pleasantly surprised at how well the detail of the stamp appeared on the velvet.
If you have any questions or need clarification, please leave me a comment and I’ll try to respond within 1-2 days.

Now that I know how easy it is, I’d love to try this with some large background stamps and make some cute throw pillows. What project will you make?

No comments: